Featured Post

June 25, 2017

Running to explore

The thing I like best about running is not the races.

It's certainly not the training, what with the hill repeats, speed intervals, and fartleks. (Yes, it's a funny word. I didn't make it up. Google it.)

No, the thing I enjoy most about running is it's the easiest, best way to explore a city -- especially a small town, such as Henderson, Ky. This week, I had the chance to do just that.

A railroad bridge crossing the Ohio River at Henderson, Ky.

Henderson is tiny. Although the seat of Henderson County, the town along the Ohio River has a mere 28,000 people. And while I didn't run around the entire city, I did have the chance to discover the historic downtown. It was perfect for a late afternoon run, even if it was 88 degrees.

Downtown is small -- about four blocks long and four blocks wide, bordered by the Ohio River on one side, and state route 41 on the other. Railroad tracks are on the eastern border, while Central Park -- the oldest municipal park east of the Allegheny Mountains -- marks the western edge.

Children playing at Central Park

It was fun and easy to run around. The streets are wide, long and flat. I pretty much ran up or down each street and around the border, getting in nearly four miles. I watched children play in the water park along the river, and even wade into the muddy Ohio. I passed by City Hall, the fire department, the police station, and the old and new courthouses. People having drinks at a cafe overlooking the river waved at me as I ran by -- and yes, I waved back. I even saw other runners.

At the Downtown Diner, which appeared to be closed for good

Along the northern border, I even found a Walgreen's, the perfect spot for relieving myself and refilling my water bottle. So I was happy, content, and ready to resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment