Featured Post

July 31, 2019

Book Review: State of the Union

State of the Union, by Nick Hornby


Like the couple in this book, I think Hornby and I should go to some sort of counseling.

The spark is gone. At least on my part.

When I first started reading Hornby's works, they were glorious books, and he was a dedicated, wonderful writer. I loved About a Boy. How to be Good was thrilling and compelling, with great characters. Then  came A Long Way Down, and I thought Hornby had hit his apex. But he hadn't. Juliet, Naked was a fine book, in which I saw Tucker Crowe as the fictional embodiment of my musical idol, Bob Dylan.

But then ...

I couldn't get through Fever Pitch, his ode to soccer. Still, I looked forward to his next novel, Funny Girl, hoping he would be back in his grove. But I neither liked the characters nor the writing. It was a disappointment.

State of the Union is a step back up, but then, the previous books were a steep drop from his previous perfection. This short novel is told in 10 parts, as a married couple in counseling meet in a bar for drinks and chat before their counseling sessions. It's OK. At times it is witty, and it's generally well written. Both characters are inoffensive. But neither is strong enough to carry the story, and beyond them, well, there is little.

The bar setting is rudimentary. A few other characters exist, but they are of little consequence.

I understand this story has also been produced as a sitcom, with 10, 10-minute episodes. I really have no interest in seeing it. And, I hear, there are potential plans for a second season.

I have two words: Please don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment