Featured Post

May 29, 2022

Book Review: Breakfast with Buddha

  •  Author: Roland Merullo
  • Where I bought this book: after words, Chicago
  • Why I bought this book: The title intrigued me.
*******
    I felt trepidation when I set out to read this book. Yes, I bought it because I liked the title, and the description of a road trip with Buddha seemed inspiring.
 
  But when I started turning the pages, I discovered that among the author's previous works were Lunch with Buddha and Dinner with Buddha. Uh-oh. Was this part of a series? If so, it sounded un-original (and backwards).

    When I got into the first chapter, my discontent increased. It seemed it was going to be about a guy going through a mid-life crisis. A middle-aged, upper middle-class suburban white guy, with the requisite wife and two teen-agers (a boy and a girl, natch), and a nice, middle-class job.

    I was prepared to quit. But I forged on. I'm glad I did.

    I was right about its premise. But you know what? It was interesting. The characters were fun. The writing was clear and easy, if a bit rambling at times.

    The narrations, like the road trip it described, was linear -- going from place-to-place, point-to-point, with a few stop-offs but little of the meandering in time and setting. And while the guy, one Otto Ringling, was a bit of a condescending jerk, he knew it and acknowledged it. His attempted justifications for his behavior did not quite justify it, and he knew that too.

    His travelling companion, name of Volya Rinpoche, wasn't exactly Buddha, but he was everything you'd want in one. Kind, thoughtful, vaguely Tibetan in a robe and sandals,  understanding, innocent, sorta chunky, and mysterious.

    Quick synopsis: Otto's parents die in a car crash back home in his native North Dakota. Otto, now a successful book editor in New York, plans to return home to settle their affairs. His sister, Cecilia, new-agey, pleasant, if a but hippy-dippy, if afraid to fly, so they must drive. But when Otto arrives at her New Jersey home, she said plans have changed -- Rinpoche is going on the trip, but she is not.

    The resulting tale is a fun read. The drive across the country includes getting stuck in traffic, stopping bowling in South Bend, Ind., and detouring to take in a Cubs game in Chicago. It's all about the experience: Otto tries to teach Rinpoche about America, and Rinpoche tries to teach Otto about life.

    The dialogue is witty. The scenes can be cliched, but realistic. We get inside Otto's head, and we can appreciate, if only vaguely understand, Rinpoche.

    Road trips can be magical, spiritual  experiences. Even those you take virtually.

No comments:

Post a Comment