Featured Post

July 19, 2024

Book Review: Your Utopia

 By Bora Chung

  • Translated by: Anton Hur
  • Pub Date: 2024
  • Genre: Short Stories

  • Where I bought this book: Barnes & Noble, Florence, Ky. 

  • Why I bought this book: I thoroughly enjoyed Cursed Bunny, Chung's first collection of stories 
 ********* 

   Normally, when reviewing a book, I focus on the author's writing, the quality and imagination of the story, and the telling moments that give the book its star rating. A good story, well told, is what I'm looking for.

    But here, I'm just going to let the author's descriptive writing and fierce imagination speak for itself. The following is a snippet from the tale Maria, Gratia Plena, ostensibly about the investigation of a women thought to be a drug dealer. This part is about a dream the investigator has after looking into the woman's thoughts and memories, which included details about the Cassini mission.

         In my dream, I am a planet. A small, unmanned spacecraft comes up to me, circling me. Whenever it moves, its tiny bright lights sparkle. In that vast bleakness that is the black of space, the spacecraft twinkles its little lights and stays by my side. I am a happy planet.
           But a few days after our first encounter, the spacecraft begins to move away. I shout after it.
           "But why?" 
           The spacecraft does not reply. Blinking its tiny little lights that I love so much, it goes farther and farther away.
           "But why? But why?" 
        It pays my pathetic cries no mind as it continues to go farther toward destruction. When it starts to fall into the fires of the sun, I am woken from my sleep.
           My phone is ringing.

    This collection is mostly about life sometime in the future, when intelligent machines dominate our lives. They have emotions, thoughts, and memories. These are their stories.

    It's a strange future, which gives voice to some of our greatest fears about technology, but like Pandora's Jar, it remains oddly full of hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment