Featured Post

April 23, 2017

A trip to the Boston Marathon

So, I spent a few days last week up in Boston, watching the Marathon, exploring bookstores, and seeing the sights. Unfortunately, time did not allow for a full viewing of the available bookstores. But I did enjoy the marathon and other activities, and here are some of the thoughts I came away with.

Boston is a long drive: On the way back, I broke the 1,000-mile-a-day barrier. I drove 1,000.1 miles from our hotel in the suburb of Braintree, Mass., to drop off my daughter at college in Morehead, Ky., and then home to Edgewood, Ky. It took 19 1/2 hours, from 4 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.Two of those hours were spent sitting in a traffic jam in Nitro, W.Va.

 My mileage, just down the block from my home in Edgewood, Ky.


The MBTA: What a great public transportation system. The trains run constantly, and the routes are easy to navigate.

The Charlie Card:  I love the fact that the system's pass, which you can buy anywhere, for any amount of cash, and use it to pay your fare, is named after the old folk song, "Charlie on the MTA"  Signs in every station explain the history of the song and its connection with the system.

Mile 17: The purpose of my family trip was to see my daughter run the Boston Marathon. We decided to watch from the Newton Fire Station at the corner of Route 16, where the runners turn onto Commonwealth Avenue just after the 17-mile mark. It was a great choice -- just before Heartbreak Hill, two-thirds of the way through, and my daughter was happy to see familiar faces. It was easy to get there on the MBTA, had a nice, but not overwhelming crowd, and snacks and portaporties were available at the fire department.

  The elite men -- including winner Geoffrey Kirui (far left) and runner-up Galen Rupp (middle) -- just past Mile 17


Crazy streets: While the public transit was great, the surface streets are incomprehensible. Narrow and winding, with five- and six-way intersections, it's easy to get lost, and easy to understand the city's massive traffic problems. We chose not to drive in the city. Another good choice.

Compact city: It is, however, a great walking city. A couple of miles and you can see many of the attractions, from Fenway Park, to the Boston Commons, to Faneuil Hall, where I bought some tea at a store named Revolutionary Boston.

                                   The Irish Famine Memorial, not far from Faneuil Hall

My Thai Vegan Cafe: A great little restaurant we found in Chinatown, as we wandered around after the Marathon. My younger daughter, a vegan, was happy. She could eat everything on the menu, including the chocolate cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment